So far I have made it through two days of school. Yesterday was a very very long day. I started at 9 in the morning and didn’t leave school until 6 pm. Yes I know that is normal  if you play a sport but try going to school and being in class that long in another language. It was a bit tiring to say the least. The day passed more or less like this:  at 8:10 my host brother walked me to school since I did not know the way. It is a short walk of about 5 minutes. We arrived at 8:15 and I did not have class until 9.  After saying goodbye to him I walked back home to spend the extra 45 there. When I arrived I found that I didn’t know how to open the door. It seemed really simple but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get it to open! I must have looked like I was trying to break into the house. So after a few more tries to no avail I walked back to school and after a few awkward moments of waiting around by myself I decided to go in.  Once inside I quickly became bored of silently observing. I saw that there was another boy sitting by himself so I went over and said hi. It’s not very easy to approach someone you don’t know and speak in a language that is not yours. But considering I really had nothing to lose I just went for it. I made it to my frist class with the help of a teacher and was the last one to arrive. I choose a seat in the front and lucky for me the girl who sat next to me helped me out with all of the things we had to do in class. I am also fortunate enough to have a really good prof principal (kind of like a homeroom teacher). Anyway. We had three hours of “homeroom” where we just went over normal first day stuff and got our schedules. We got all our books at one time and I can tell you that I have more books this year than I have ever had before. At noon we had lunch time. I should have taken a picture but considering I was all by myself I didn’t want to ruin any chance I might have of finding a lunch buddy 🙂

The system for getting lunch is very different. First of all, you have to go outside to get in line. Then it is like every single person in the school is waiting in the line and coming from all directions. There is a teacher who stands in front of the line and lets small groups through to the cafeteria and the rest of us have to wait outside until it is out turn. It works as a self serve, there are two choices of meals and many side dishes. On this particular day we had two hours for lunch. It sounds like a long time but it took a while just to get the food. Two o’clock marked the official start of classes. Here is my schedule:

As you can see I have different classes every day. There are only two days a week that I have to be at school at 8 am yes! And I think my favorite day is going to be Wednesday 🙂

Yesterday I only had one hour of French Lit, an hour and a half of English and then an hour of French. My English class was a highlight of the day. Not really because I could understand everything that went on. More so because some of the notes for the day were based on me. In the beginning of class we were told we have to introduce ourselves in English. I volunteered to go first and after I was done, my teacher spent a good 15 minutes asking the other students to review what I had said. Even though it was an easy class, I finally learned the difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom.

At 6 pm I finally got to go home! YAY. Isabelle (my host mom) had just got home as well so I didn’t have to worry about opening the door. We went shopping for school supplies. What a task. It was rather difficult because I really don’t know what is expected. I guess I will find out little by little.

My English Notes 🙂 


6 thoughts on “I SURVIVED :)

  1. Hopefully you get an “A” in English class! Thinking about you girl! Hope you enjoy your time there. I know your dad misses you but yet is so very proud of you. Take care…

  2. Emma-
    this is so awesome! I am living vicariously through you! I wanted to be a foreign language teacher when I was your age. I wish I had followed through!
    We go to PSU in the RV on Saturday. It won’t be the same without your smiling face! We’ll take care of your mom and dad for you!
    Hugs to you! Keep writing! I love it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s